BE PREPARED: Check your chimney to prevent house fires this winter. The CFA has been called to a growing number of fires caused by chimney issues in recent years.
FIREFIGHTERSare reminding residents to be careful when it comes to home heating this season.
Each winter, firefighters are called to thousands of housefires caused by preventable incidents. In Victoria, theCFA has seenan increase in the number of chimney fires from both fireplaces and solid wood heaters in recent years.
As the cooler weather kicks in,CFA is urging residents to keep themselves fire safe by checking and maintaining their fireplaces, chimneys, fireboxes and flues.
CFA South East region assistant chief officer Trevor Owen said over time there could be a build-up of creosote, a black tar-like residue, which was highly flammable and could clog up chimneys.
“Creosote is not only caused by general use, but it can also build up quicker if you are using incorrect fuels, such as green wood or treated timbers,” he said.
This Advertising Feature is sponsored by the following businesses. Click the link to learn more:
Bi-riteCarey CoversFostersLyal EalesMidwest ElectricalArarat Mower CentreGilbert & JuryStephen Dalton GasfittingTJO ServicesTo reduce the risk of fire starting from your fireplace or solid wood heater you should:
Use a torch to check for creosote build-up or obstructionsHave your chimney professionally cleaned annuallyOnly burn dry, clean woodDon’t leave your fire to burn after you have gone to bed or left the houseMr Owen said residents should also have gas heaters inspected and serviced to ensure the safety of loved ones.
“Every household should consider their fire safety practices and examine the potential risks around their home,” he said.
“Cooler weather conditions and the winter months are one of the riskiest times of the year for fires in the home and sadly, most of these fires can be prevented.
“Chimney fires can quickly turn into house fires so the few minutes spent now could be one of the most important fire safety actions you take this winter.”
Fireplaces can also be a fire hazard if fuels are allowed to fall out of the fireplace. A secure guard or fireproof screen should be used at all times.
If drying clothes please ensure they are positioned at least one metre away from the heat source and constantly monitored to reduce the chance of them igniting.
“One of the nicest things about winter is curling up in front of a warm fire, and with these small tips we can ensure you do this safely,” Mr Owen said.
Warm the home efficientlyPros and cons of portable heatingKeep children safe this winterThis story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.